Submissions are open.
We accept submissions to our online magazine year-round and to our annual print anthology from September 1st to March 1st.
We are committed to compensating writers and artists for their creative labor. Currently we pay all contributors a small honorarium, and we are actively raising funds to increase the amounts we can offer. We believe that creative work is a service, and writers and artists deserve a living wage. We welcome the support of all who agree.
Please review our submission guidelines carefully. When you are ready, submit using our online form.
- See our submission categories for genre-specific guidelines.
- In your cover letter, please include your contact information and a brief bio.
- All submissions must be the original work of the author or artist. Excluding interviews and reviews, unsolicited submissions must be previously unpublished in English. Submissions of works translated into English must include a copy of the work in its original language and proof of translation rights.
- Simultaneous submissions are accepted. If any your piece is accepted for publication elsewhere, please withdraw it promptly by notifying us at email@example.com, or, if you have created a user account, by using the Withdraw Submission form on your “My Submissions” page.
- Do not send multiple submissions at once. Please wait until we have responded with our decision before submitting again.
- We aim to respond to submissions within three to six months, but with limited means there may be occasional delays. We are grateful for your patience.
To focus on our mission of supporting rural LGBTQ and POC writers and artists, submissions of creative writing and art are restricted to people who identify as LGBTQ and/or POC.
Allies are welcome and encouraged to submit in our Interviews, Reviews, & Miscellany category. For more information, see the category guidelines below.
Honoraria & Contributor Rights
- We acquire first serial rights worldwide in English and non-exclusive anthology rights. For interviews, reviews, and art, we acquire non-exclusive reprint rights.
- Contributors are paid a $20 honorarium upon publication. For our Interviews, Reviews, & Miscellany category we currently offer a $10 honorarium for published pieces. Contributors whose work is anthologized in one or more of our annual print editions will receive a copy of each anthology in which their work appears.
Our Submissions Manager
Mount Island uses an in-house submissions management system that looks and feels like a low-rent Submittable, and it sure does get the job done.
You may create a free user account to track your the submissions and to save incomplete submissions as drafts.
A user account is not necessary to submit. Submitters without user accounts (guest users) must provide a valid and active email address to receive correspondence from Mount Island staff. Both guest users and registered users receive confirmations and notifications of status changes via email.
- Submissions must be no more than 5000 words, whether a single piece or multiple flash pieces.
- Flash pieces should be no more than 1000 words. For multiple flash pieces, submit them as one document with page breaks between each piece.
- We welcome all genres and styles.