Who We Are
Mount Island is a small press and literary magazine dedicated to creating space for rural LGBTQ+ and POC voices to be heard on their own terms and find solidarity in community. Mount Island is a magazine by us, of us, and for anybody who wants to see rural America for all it really is.
Who Are We Looking For
Are you passionate/curious about…
- Expanding opportunities for underrepresented voices?
- Inclusive, accessible community-building through the arts?
- Ethical, sustainable publishing models?
If you answered yes and have some additions to add to what we described, we want to talk to you!
What We Offer for All Internships
- Gain experience working with a mission-driven, independent literary publisher;
- Work with writers, artists, and creative professionals around the United States;
- Participate in
- Contribute to the growth and visibility of LGBTQ and POC communities across rural America (including the organization of in-person events in and around Vermont);
- Earn academic credits while you gain experience. This option should be discussed with your school’s advisor.
- All interns receive a free 2-year subscription to the magazine ($30 value)
Other internships may become available in the future. Internships are offered for six-month terms; longer or shorter internships can be negotiated on a case-by-case basis. Responsibilities will vary according to the calendar period and duration of the internship.
Learn firsthand what it takes to run an independent small press as you work alongside Mount Island staff to publish our digital magazine and special print projects, manage our supporting programs, and stay engaged with our community. You’ll be able to apply your passion and creativity while gaining professional skills that will serve you for a lifetime, whether you go on to a career in publishing, arts administration, nonprofit management, or even chimney sweeping.
Note: our internship program does not offer chimney sweep training.
- Attention to detail
- Ability to go with the flow while managing multiple and sometimes competing deadlines
- Strong communication skills: Strong ability to communicate both in writing and verbally, and to engage in meetings/discussions with team
- Familiarity with or willingness to learn copyediting, researching, and fact checking
- Familiarity with or willingness to learn multiple digital and traditional media platforms including:
- MS Office and Google apps
- Social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.)
- Email marketing and marketing automation (Mailchimp, Hubspot, etc.)
- Project management and collaboration (Asana, Airtable, Google apps, etc.)
- Content management systems (WordPress)
- Must play well with others and be capable of and comfortable with working alone/remotely
- Participate in weekly meetings with supervising staff and in monthly teamwide meetings
- Collaborate with staff to maintain editorial and production calendars
- Draft occasional original content for the Mount Island blog and/or podcasts
- Assist with fact-checking, proofreading, and copyediting according to Chicago Manual and house styles
- Correspond with contributors as needed
- Assist with assorted light administrative duties including but not limited to file management, scheduling, and general correspondence
- Assist with promotion and sale of Mount Island publications and events through digital and print media
- Draft and distribute promotional material including but not limited to: press releases, social media posts, newsletters
- Outreach to other organizations to seek potential partnerships
- Read forthcoming issues and work with team to brainstorm marketing strategies
- Work with staff to coordinate and carry out fundraising campaigns
Copyright @ 2020 Mount Island Press, LLC